Configuring Flash for authoring tutors (CS3)
Last updated March 07, 2017
The CTAT installation includes a set of Flash components for authoring tutors and an HTML publishing template for publishing and configuring your tutors for the Web.
1. Install CTAT Flash Components
NOTE: The Adobe Extension Manager (previously the Macromedia Extension Manager) is required to install the CTAT Flash components. If you don't see the Extension Manager in your list of installed programs, download and install it.
- Start the Extension Manager:
- In Windows, select Adobe > Adobe Extension Manager from the Start menu.
- In Mac OS X, double-click the Extension Manager icon in the Applications/Adobe Extension Manager folder.
- In the drop-down menu in the Extension Manager, ensure the version of Flash you will use to author tutors is selected (e.g., Flash CS3).
- Select File > Install Extension in the Extension Manager.
- Find and select the file CommComponents.mxp, located in your CTAT installation directory in the "Flash" folder, and press Install.
- When prompted with the Extension Disclaimer, press Accept.
- Confirm that the components have installed successfully.
- If you already have another version of the CTAT CommComponents installed, or another extension with the same name, the Extension Manager asks if you want to disable the one thatís already installed. Select Yes to replace the previous version with the new one.
- If youíre asked if you would like to replace one or more existing files, select Yes to All to accept the newest version of the components.
These components should now be available from the Components panel in the Flash IDE. When creating a new Flash document (File > New...), make sure you choose Flash File (ActionScript 2.0); otherwise, you won't see the CTAT CommComponents in your Components panel!
Learn more about the CTAT Flash components on Flash components reference page. If you need components other than these to build your interface in Flash, please contact us.
2. Configure Flash to publish via the CTAT template
CTAT includes an HTML Publishing Template, CTAT_FlashPublish.html, that you can use to create an HTML file for configuring and publishing your tutor.
- Launch the Flash IDE.
- Create a new Flash document.
- Go to File > Publish Settings.
- Click the HTML tab.
- Select CTAT FlashPublish from the drop-down menu next to Template.
- Click OK.
You can now publish the HTML for your tutor by selecting File > Publish
3. Configure Flash for Windows Vista (if applicable)
We've had some users inform us that Flash CS3 and CS4 do not run well or at all on Windows Vista. A workaround that solves the problem and makes the application run a lot faster is to execute Flash in "Windows XP Service Pack 3" compatibility mode. To configure Flash this way:
- Navigate to where your Flash executable is installed (e.g., C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS4).
- Right-click Flash.exe and select Properties.
- Under the Compatibility tab, click the checkbox next to Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the dropdown.
- Click OK.
You can either directly change the properties of the Flash executable from within the file explorer or select the properties menu item of your Flash icon in the start menu.